Leftover roasted vegetables are great ingredients to have in the refrigerator when you need to cook a fast and healthy weeknight meal. I had extra roasted zucchini and bell peppers left over after making my Vegetable Lasagna. The day after I made the lasagna, I used some of the roasted vegetables as a topping for homemade pizza. A couple days later, I used the remaining roasted vegetables in this Garlicky Roasted Vegetable Pasta with Pesto. The basil pesto used in this recipe can also be made in advance and stored frozen up to 3 months. I am not ashamed to admit that I used store bought basil pesto; in addition, I used store bought garlic paste since I like my pesto garlicky. This healthy and delicious dinner was ready in 20 minutes.
Serving size: 2
Ingredients for Basil Pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic (I like mine garlicky)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Pasta:
- 2 cups of cooked pasta (use your favorite pasta; gluten-free if you pefer; I used whole wheat)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste (optional and used only because the store bought pesto was not garlicky enough)
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup roasted bell peppers, sliced*
- 1/2 cup roasted zucchini slices*
- 1 cup miniature heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
* Note: For directions on how to roast bell peppers and zucchini, follow the instructions on the Vegetable Lasagna recipe.
In a food processor, pulse basil, garlic and pine nuts a few times until just combined. Then, while the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. It’s important to do this slowly to ensure it will emulsify. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. If you are using the pesto immediately, stir in the cheese. Otherwise, store and freeze without the cheese. You can add freshly grated cheese once you are ready to thaw out and use the pesto.
Cook pasta in salted water and drain. Add the pasta back to the same pot. On medium heat, add the garlic paste, red chili pepper flakes, roasted peppers, roasted zucchini and tomatoes. Stir together and heat until vegetables are warmed through. Combine pesto and heat for 2 additional minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.